Home / Bedrooms / Bedtime the Ikea Hack Way.
formats

Welcome.

After deciding to renovate my son’s bedroom, and searching the fantastic Ikea Hackers Website, coming across some fantastic posts within, I thought I’d give it a go.

So before further ado, here’s the final (albeit a bit of sanding and painting!!) bed for my son:

 

I thought that this bed was complete!

I thought that this bed was complete!

 

It comprises of a MALM chest of drawers, 2 x EXPEDIT,  SULTAN LUROY bed base, a SULTAN HUGLO mattress, some 125 x 25 timber and some 25 x 25 spurring.

So first things first, I did a quick dry fit together:

A Quick Dry Fit Together!

A Quick Dry Fit Together!

Dry fit together with the mattress

Dry fit together with the mattress

 

MALM Drawer unit

MALM Drawer unit

 

Bed Construction

Materials:

  • 2 x Expedit units (£20 ea)      £40
  • 1 x Malm 3 drawer                     £30
  • 1x Sultan Luroy bed base       £20
  • 1x Sultan Huglo Mattress        £80   (not essential if you already have a mattress)
  • 125 x 25 Timber 2.4m x 2       £30

Total                                                              £200 (or £120 if you have a mattress)

Construction Time:

3/4 of a day

Tools Required:

Drill, Drill Driver, Circular Saw, Hammer, Chisels, Glue, Filler, Sander, Screws, Hand Saw, Tape measure, Spirit Level, Measuring Square, Quick Clamps.

I needed to do a test fit of the items together with the mattress as seen above. I knew that I really needed to give the bed some stability by fixing the top to at least two walls. With the 2 x 2 Expedits and the Malm set of drawers the overall length of the bed would be too long, so that also needed to be addressed. I will come to that later.

So as I mentioned, I needed to make sure that the bed was firmly secured against the wall on two sides. I constructed the main frame from 125 x 25mm timber (5 x 1 in olde english!!) and fixed to the wall using frame fixings. (The smae used to fix door frames and windows to walls etc) I did this on two sides and then screwqed and glued the other two sides together.

Wall Bracket fixed to wall

Wall Bracket fixed to wall

 

As you can see from the picture below, I then glued and screwed some 25 x 25mm battens to the base of the frames. These would act as the support for the bed slats. Also in the picture below I have attached one of the Expedit units to the wall. This was again done with frame fixings through the edge of the unit as this is where the internal timber supports are.

Frame with battens glued and screwed

Frame with battens glued and screwed

You may have noticed from the pictures that the Malm is lower than the overall height of the Expedit, but this was rectified using a thin piece of MDF and a leftover shelf from a LACK coffee table!!

Slats dropped into place

Slats dropped into place

The next task was to fit the slats. As IKEA sell these seperately it was just a simple case of laying them on the battens.

The battens over the MALM drawers were screwed down with 2 50mm screws. This ensured that the screws penetrated the battens, the filler pieces and the drawers themselves.
At this point the Malm drawers and one of the Expedit units were fixed. I had taken the desicion at the beginning of the build to leave the middle Expedit shelving unit free. This enabled easy access to the wasted space behind. Some people have asked me why I didn’t put more units underneath, and my simple answer is money!! That and the fact I had a huge toy box to hide!!

Middle Expedit removal

Middle Expedit removal

I intend to put some white faced hardboard on the backs of both Expedit’s. That way it hides a multitude of sins!!

 

Tidying Up

The gap down the side of the drawers needed filling so I used a piece of white faced chipboard that I got my local wood place to cut for me. This was attached to the drawers from behind and then I used decorators caulk to tidy the gap between wall and timber.

Filler piece in place

Filler piece in place

 

Of course, then came two sticking points. The first was how does my seven year old get in and out of bed??

The answer to that turned out easier than I though. I just cut down the ladders that he had originally from his cabin bed so that they fit, and after a few well chiselled grooves in the bed frame, they slid into place.

Original ladders cut down

Original ladders cut down

The second was that my wife panicked:

‘What if he falls out of bed’ says she.
‘He’ll only do it once’ says I
SMACK goes she…….

It was then that I thought I should put a guard of some sort on. I decided to construct a fence style guard. These were made over from some timber that I had left over in my garage.

Bed with guard rails installed

Bed with guard rails installed

What about the bed being two long for the mattress? Well after some consideration I decided to turn it into a storage shelf. I had some white faced chipboard left over which I cut to size, screwed down and sealed around the edges. I then made a headboard of sorts in order to stop his pillows falling of the mattress.

Nice little storage area. Don't know how long it will stay tidy though!!

Nice little storage area. Don’t know how long it will stay tidy though!!

So all in all I am pleased with the result. As I mentioned earlier, there is still a little sanding and painting to do.

At the same time I also built a desk for him and added some VIKA ALEX drawers underneath:

VIKA Desk!

VIKA Desk!

To tidy the cables underneath I used some leftover guttering that I had from an earlier project:

Homemade cable tidy from guttering!!

Homemade cable tidy from guttering!!

Worked well!! I still have a few projects left to do in his room. I have to add a large EXPEDIT shelving unit above his desk and some lighting for some bling. Some sanding and painting, but for now, enough……

as seen on big